The dishwasher is a miracle of modern convenience. With just the push of a button, your dishes are clean and sanitized. But did you know that not everything is safe to put in the dishwasher? Some things can actually be damaged by the dishwashing process. To help you keep track of what isn’t dishwasher safe, we’ve compiled a list of common household items that you should never put in your dishwasher.
What Isn’t Dishwasher Safe and What Is?
There are a few things that you should never put in your dishwasher. Let’s start with what isn’t and isn’t dishwasher safe here.
Here’s What Isn’t Dishwasher Safe
1. Cast iron cookware. The high temperatures and harsh detergents in the dishwasher can damage the seasoning on your cast iron skillet, making it more likely to rust. Stick to washing cast iron by hand.
2. Non-stick cookware. Dishwashers can also damage the non-stick coating on your pots and pans. To extend the life of your cookware, wash it by hand with mild soap and water.
3. Wooden cutting boards or utensils. The heat and moisture of the dishwasher can cause wooden items to warp or crack. To clean them, simply wash them by hand with warm water and soap.
4. Delicate china. Fine china is too delicate for the dishwasher. The high temperatures and harsh detergents can cause the finish to fade or chip. To clean your china, wash it by hand with mild soap and water.
5. Crystal glassware. Like fine china, crystal glassware is too delicate for the dishwasher. The high temperatures can cause the crystal to crack or shatter. To clean your crystal, wash it by hand with mild soap and water.
6. Delicate Silverware. Silverware can tarnish in the dishwasher due to the high temperatures and harsh detergents. To keep your silver looking its best, wash it by hand with mild soap and water.
7. Copper cookware. The high temperatures and harsh detergents in the dishwasher can damage the finish on your copper pots and pans. To clean them, wash them by hand with mild soap and water.
8. Plastic without dishwasher labels. Many plastics are not safe to put in the dishwasher. What happens if you put non dishwasher safe plastic in the dishwasher? The high temperatures can cause them to warp or melt. Only put plastic in the dishwasher if it is labeled “dishwasher safe.”
9. Anything with a painted finish. Dishes with a painted finish, such as decorative plates or mugs, should not be put in the dishwasher. The high temperatures and harsh detergents can damage the paint, causing it to fade or chip. To clean these items, wash them by hand with mild soap and water.
What Is Dishwasher Safe?
While there are a few things that you should never put in your dishwasher, there are plenty of items that are safe to put in the dishwasher. These include:
1. Dishes with a hard, non-porous finish. This includes most ceramic, glass, metal, and plastic dishes.
2. Dishes with a dishwasher-safe label. If you’re not sure if an item is safe for the dishwasher, check for a label that says “dishwasher safe.”
3. Cookware with a hard, non-porous finish. This includes most metal and plastic cookware.
4. Silverware with a dishwasher-safe finish. Is stainless steel dishwasher safe? Yes, stainless steel and silver-plated silverware are totally safe to wash.
With this list of what isn’t dishwasher safe, you can be sure that your dishes are safe in the dishwasher. So go ahead and put them in, and enjoy the convenience of a clean kitchen with minimal effort. And remember if you’re having any issues our appliance repair team is just a quick call away!
P.S. For any dishwasher issues, like your dishwasher is leaking or your dishwasher is not starting, take a look at our other blogs.