Opening the dishwasher to find clean dishes but a smelly dishwasher can certainly make you question if your dishes are actually clean. Like all appliances, dishwashers require regular maintenance to avoid repairs and function optimally. We’ll review how to clean a Samsung dishwasher from the inside to the filter and drain pump. We’ll also get to the root of why your Samsung dishwasher smells bad.
Here’s How to Clean a Samsung Dishwasher Correctly
You should deep clean your dishwasher monthly to avoid the buildup of mold and mildew that leads to odors. Regular cleanings on a weekly basis can also go a long way to preventing offensive smells. Fortunately, these cleaning methods are simple and fast so they can easily become part of your maintenance routine. But before we discuss how to fix a smelly dishwasher, here’s some info on what may be causing the smell.
What Causes Dishwasher Odor?
Your dishwasher is a warm, moist environment that offers ideal conditions for bacteria to multiply. Inevitably, food particles are left behind with each wash cycle and they quickly develop mold and bacteria in the dishwasher’s warm confines. Decaying food emits a smell as it breaks down and that bad smell can be a telltale sign your dishwasher needs a cleaning.
We’ll show you how to clean a Samsung dishwasher so that you can quickly banish smells once and for all!
How to Clean Inside a Samsung Dishwasher
With all the different information and products available, you may be wondering what is the best way to clean the inside of a dishwasher. We find that the easiest and most effective methods involve simple household ingredients like white vinegar and baking soda.
Routine cleanings on a weekly basis should include wiping down the outside of the dishwasher and control panel with a damp cloth. It should also include cleaning inside your dishwasher and filter. Simply place an 8oz cup of white vinegar in the lower basket of your dishwasher and run a sanitize cycle. Wipe down the gasket of your dishwasher with warm water to remove food particles. If dishwasher odor still remains we recommend these additional steps:
- Sprinkle a handful of baking soda in your dishwasher tub and run a 2nd sanitize cycle
- Add ½-1 cup bleach to your dishwasher tub and run another sanitize cycle. Refrain from using this step if your dishwasher has a stainless steel interior, as the bleach will cause discoloration.
Deep cleanings of your dishwasher on a monthly basis should include soaking the nozzles and spray arms in white vinegar overnight.
How to Clean a Samsung Dishwasher Filter
The next step in routine dishwasher maintenance addresses a favorite hideout for bacteria: the dishwasher filter. We suggest these easy steps for how to clean a Samsung dishwasher filter:
- Remove dishwasher’s bottom rack
- Locate and remove your Samsung dishwasher filter from the base of your dishwasher tub
- Handwash filter in warm, soapy water. Use a toothbrush to gently scrub aware stubborn debris
- Replace filter
How to Clean the Drain Pump
The final step in how to clean a Samsung dishwasher addresses how to clean the drain pump. We recommend these steps as part of your monthly deep cleaning:
- Clear disposal: your garbage disposal and dishwasher share the same drain hose. We recommend running your disposal to clear it of any debris before running your dishwasher’s wash cycle. The hose itself may have to be cleaned if the odor persists.
- Clean air gap: if your kitchen faucet has an air gap it can become clogged with food particles and cause a drain backup into your dishwasher. Clean out the air gap when you perform a dishwasher deep clean to remove any food particles.
- Remove drain clogs: mix a solution of white vinegar and baking soda and pour it down the dishwasher drain. Allow the solution to sit for 10-15 minutes before pouring hot water down the drain to cleanse the solution and loosen clogs
Knowing how to clean your Samsung dishwasher and how to improve dishwasher performance often involves simple steps that improve function and banish odor. If you find these methods still leave you with a smelly dishwasher, Sharper Service Solutions is here to help as your dishwasher repair service.