A refrigerator dispenser can be the ultimate convenience until it stops providing water and ice on demand. Why is my Frigidaire refrigerator dispenser not working? Water supply issues, like a kinked or frozen water line, can prevent water from reaching the dispenser. Troubleshoot a Frigidaire refrigerator not dispensing water or ice with these common causes.
Frigidaire Refrigerator Dispenser Not Working? Here’s How to Fix It.
Wondering how to fix a Frigidaire water dispenser when it won’t produce water or ice? While a part replacement may be necessary, changing the water filter or adjusting the controls can quickly solve the problem. Here’s how to pinpoint the right cause and solution.
1. Dispenser Controls Are Locked
When the Control Lock feature is enabled, all control panel functions are locked to prevent accidental activation, including the dispenser. If you find other functions and your Frigidaire refrigerator dispenser not working, check to see if the Control Lock button is illuminated. This indicates that the control panel is locked.
To turn off a Frigidaire water dispenser lock, press and hold the Control Lock button for 3 seconds. The light should turn off, indicating that it’s unlocked, and all control panel and dispenser functions should resume.
2. Problem With Frigidaire Refrigerator Water Filter
Water filter issues are commonly responsible for a Frigidaire refrigerator dispenser not working. If water doesn’t flow through the filter, it won’t supply the dispenser for water and ice production.
The following water filter issues can cause dispenser problems:
- Filter is old: Over time, water filters can become clogged by the particles they screen out, restricting water flow to the dispenser. It’s recommended that you change the filter every 6 months to prevent clogs.
- Filter is damaged or installed incorrectly: Damage or incorrect installation can result in leaks and low water flow that impact dispenser function. Inspect the water filter for damage, replacing it if necessary. Consult your user manual to make sure the filter was installed correctly.
- Non-OEM filter is installed: Using a Non-OEM filter can result in improper fit and function, limiting the dispenser’s water supply. Always use the OEM filter brand recommended in your user manual when replacing an old filter.
3. Check Refrigerator Water Supply
The refrigerator’s water line is a flexible plastic tube that transports water from your home’s supply to the refrigerator. A water inlet valve on the line opens and closes, allowing water to flow. Issues with both these components can affect the refrigerator’s water supply, resulting in the dispenser and ice maker not working properly.
Assess for the following water supply issues when you find your Frigidaire water dispenser not working:
- Water line is kinked: If the water line kinks, water from your home supply won’t flow to the refrigerator. Move the refrigerator away from the wall to inspect the line for kinks, gently untwisting them to restore water flow.
- Water line is frozen: Blockages can occur when residual water droplets freeze inside the water line. Aim a hairdryer at the line to melt the blockage. If your Frigidaire water line keeps freezing, check the freezer temperature to make sure it’s between 0-10℉. Freezer temperatures that are too cold can keep freezing the line.
- Low water pressure: The water inlet valve requires a certain amount of water pressure to function properly. If the pressure is too low, the valve may not open to allow water to flow to the dispenser. If the valve’s pressure measures less than 20psi, you may need to increase your home’s water pressure so the valve works properly.
- Defective water inlet valve: If the valve is receiving enough pressure but still doesn’t open or close properly, it may be defective. This can be confirmed via multimeter testing that shows a lack of continuity. In this case, the valve must be replaced.
4. Door Switch Failure
A Frigidaire refrigerator door switch is activated when the door opens, locking the dispenser to prevent leaks. The switch should deactivate when the door is closed so dispenser function can resume. When the dispenser doesn’t work even if the refrigerator doors are closed, the door switch may have failed. If multimeter testing of the switch shows a lack of continuity, it requires replacement.
5. Defective Dispenser Switch
The dispenser switch is located behind the control panel, directly behind the dispenser lever. When the lever is depressed to dispense water or ice, the switch activates the water inlet valve, allowing water to supply the dispenser. If the dispenser switch is defective, it won’t signal the valve and water won’t flow to the dispenser. If the Frigidiare water dispenser switch doesn’t provide an accurate reading with multimeter testing, it should be replaced by a refrigerator repair service.
The team at Sharper Service solutions can handle any refrigeration issue. Whether your refrigerator won’t cool or the dispenser malfunctions, we’ll help with a professional repair!