While most of take for granted the refrigerator — when it stops working, we start paying attention. To avoid the hassle and expense of a broken or malfunctioning refrigerator, there are certain basic things you can do to prevent this from happening and that will also help you extend the life of your kitchen appliance.
Just like cars, refrigerators need TLC and one of the most cost-effective forms of this is learning how to clean refrigerator coils, namely KitchenAid Side-by-Side coils. While the manufacturers guide states that Kitchenaid condenser coils do not need routine cleaning in most home environments, they do in fact need regular cleaning every 2 – 3 months if your house is prone to dust, grease, or pet hair. Of course, it never hurts to learn how to clean condenser coils on a KitchenAid Side-by-Side, and here we walk you through the steps.
How To Clean Refrigerator Coils: KitchenAid Side-by-Side
1. Turn off the power to the refrigerator. This can be done in one of two different ways. Turn off the circuit breaker that powers the refrigerator or simply unplug the refrigerator from the electrical outlet.
2. Now you need to remove the base grill so that you can access the condenser coils. In a KitchenAid Side-by-Side model, you are going to need to open both doors in order to remove the base grill. Once you have the doors open, place one hand on each side of the grill, push down on the top of the grill and pull up on the bottom at the same time.
3. Once the grill is off you can reach the coils to clean them. When cleaning the coils use a vacuum with a soft brush attachment. You can also use a refrigerator coil brush specifically designed for cleaning the condenser coils.
4. When cleaning the coils, don’t just focus on the coils themselves. You will also want to clean the base grill, which can be vacuumed or washed in warm, soapy water. In addition to the base grill, you will want to clean any open areas around the coils, clean as much as you can possibly reach with the soft brush attachment.
5. Once you are done cleaning you will need to put the base grill back on. To do so simply line up the support tabs on the base grill with the metal tabs on the refrigerator and snap it back into place and then close the doors.
6. Then, once the grill is back on, restore power to the refrigerator.
That’s it! You’ve just extended the life of your KitchenAid Side-by-Side appliance! That’s it! You’ve just extended the life of your KitchenAid Side-by-Side appliance!